TLF Header

Considering that this whole blog began as a way to keep my family and friends updated on my pregnancy and then motherhood, I only just realized that I have never actually shared Miles’ birth story on here. With Mother’s Day around the corner, it seems like the perfect time.

People say that God won’t give you more than you can handle, and I’m so thankful He seems to know what a weenie I am because I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy. I experienced some mild nausea (easily abated with a lollipop or some crackers) early on, and my feet swelled quite a bit towards the end (an excuse for me to lounge on the couch). Overall, though, I know I was very lucky.

It worked out really well that Miles’ due date was New Year’s Eve. At the time, I was working for a church where we always had the week between Christmas and the New Year off, so I was able to work right up until the end.

My husband and I had our annual Fowler Family Christmas, which we do at home a few days before actual Christmas every year before flying to see our families, and my parents flew in a couple of days later.

At around 11:00pm on December 28, I started feeling what I knew right away were contractions. Guess what? They’re not fun. I have experienced some pretty bad cramps in my day, and this was much, much worse.

David had gotten home after a show (he’s was working on Once off-Broadway at that point, and we were in bed. I knew all along that I wanted to stay home as long as possible, so he helped me time them… until he fell asleep. I was kind of annoyed, but I figured neither of us would be getting much sleep for a while, so I let him snooze while I continued to time them.

It wasn’t until close to 4:00am that I felt like it was time to go. After confirming with the doctor by phone, I woke him up and called a car service (oh, New York…). We let my parents know we were headed to the hospital, but that they should keep sleeping. No need for everyone to be there when it could still potentially be several hours before any action.

We checked in, and I was admitted pretty quickly since I was already 6 cm dilated. By that point, I was more than ready for a visit from the anesthesiologist. I applaud women who live that natural birth life, but see above: weenie.

Once that sweet, sweet epidural was administered, I was actually able to get some sleep. 🙌

I was awoken a couple of hours later; apparently it was go time. My water never broke, so the doctors (yes, multiple – I had two doctors AND a midwife present at my delivery) took care of it manually.

A few pushes later, and Miles Fowler joined us at 12:08pm.

CAUTION: Graphic Content Ahead

The doctors took Miles, cleaned him off, and handed him to David. Um, hello? I would love to hold that human that just came out of me. But then I noticed the doctors were still at work.

Me: Why can’t I hold the baby?
Them: We’re “patching you up.” You can’t hold him until we’re done in case you flinch.

😳 x 1,000,000

Once they were done, David handed Miles over to me. I very quickly went from 😳 to 😍.

BW birth

I had a minor case of preeclampsia, which landed me in a room with an IV of magnesium and meant I had to stay at the hospital a little longer than I would have liked. It was annoying, but I definitely took advantage of that nursing staff and slept… a lot.

We were able to get home just in time to ring in the new year. What a perfect way to kick off 2012, huh?




Do you have a good birth story? I’d love to hear it if you do!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s